Inventory Control in the Field
One of the world’s largest manufacturers of construction and mining equipment contracted Dockside to handle the packaging of over 75 factory machines for transportation to, and re-installation in, a new plant in Mexico. With each machine being disassembled in an improvised manner, accurate control over each disassembled part was crucial for maintaining the project schedule during re-installation in Mexico.
Dockside mobilized over 1000 miles for the project equipped with our mobile WMS.
- Set up a “virtual warehouse” at the jobsite
- Received parts into a designated packing area
– Generated Material Receipt Labels on demand
- Systemically assigned those parts to designated crates(avoiding ad-hoc allocation of parts)
- Generated Crate Labels on-demand with barcodes, allowing scanning of Material Receipt Labels to the new “overpack”
- Systemic assignment of Crate Labels to a Delivery Ticket
- Scanning of Crate Labels to the truck at time of shipment, relieving inventory and passing contractual custody of the cargo
- All activity photographically recorded, and QA carried out, on WMS handheld (saved against relevant Material Receipt and Crate Labels)
Our client maintained visibility of cargo through our web-based WMS portal providing them with the confidence they needed that the project was on schedule and under control.
Dockside’s 100% shipping accuracy and 100% on-time shipping record was recognized as significantly contributing to the overall success of the project and resulted in subsequent contract awards from the same client.
For this client, Dockside manages inventory & activity in our own WMS.
• Material management using WMS
• Engineering & Consulting
– Packaging Engineering
– Process Design & Engineering
• Onsite/In Plant Services